rob was here.

Monday, September 01, 2008

grow.

It has been a quiet summer for this blog, and this in many ways is representational of life. I am learning to enjoy certain things a bit better, I think, as I have the tendency to haphazardly rush through lifes seasons and problems. I have gotten into reading, which is something that I have never really vested any interest into. I have been experimenting with eating better; namely eating lots of fruits and vegetables that I thought I didn't like, tasting everything there is to taste.

That vein brings us to the point of this post. This summer I have attempted to grow some fruit, and it turns out I was quite successful at it! I have grown 8 or 9 Cayenne Pepper plants from a kit that Susan bought me, which are producing a great many peppers. I have 2 tomato plants grown from starter plants in my back yard, which are now yielding tomatoes. I also have a flowering crab-apple tree in my backyard, which wasn't planted for the point of growing fruit, but it's making apples regardless.

The cayenne peppers started turning red a few weeks ago. I have eaten my first pepper this week, when I shredded it over nachos. It was quite hot and spicy! I estimate I have about 5 or 6 ripe peppers right now, and about 20 on the verge of ripeness. I may have to freeze some so they don't go bad.

The tomatoes are relatively easy to grow once you buy the plants already started from a local nursery. You just have to keep them watered until they start to produce. I think I will try tomatoes every summer.

The crab apples, I'm not sure what to do with, since they are not very edible in their raw state. There are quite a few recipes for jams and deserts using baked crab-apples though. I may try doing something like that.

Has anyone else grown anything this summer? If so, comment, I want some ideas for next year!

Cayennes:


Tomatoes:


Pommes:

Comments:
I grew a baby from infancy to toddler. Does that count??

;)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

February 2005 , March 2005 , April 2005 , May 2005 , June 2005 , July 2005 , August 2005 , September 2005 , October 2005 , November 2005 , December 2005 , January 2006 , February 2006 , March 2006 , April 2006 , May 2006 , June 2006 , July 2006 , August 2006 , September 2006 , October 2006 , November 2006 , December 2006 , January 2007 , February 2007 , March 2007 , April 2007 , May 2007 , June 2007 , July 2007 , August 2007 , September 2007 , October 2007 , November 2007 , December 2007 , January 2008 , February 2008 , March 2008 , May 2008 , September 2008 , October 2008 , November 2008 , December 2008 , January 2009 , April 2009 , September 2009 , November 2009 , June 2010 , August 2010 , November 2010 , June 2011 , July 2011 , November 2011 ,

Friends

jeremy, pender, phil, reido, furlong, ajay, earl, angus, nadeana, charles, classBlog
Powered by Blogger Get Firefox! Get Thunderbird!<  Use OpenOffice.org  Rob's Music Get Songbird