rob was here.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

the brief history of fun.

Lost season 3 premiers tonight. While I'm waiting for it to come on, I think I'll have a walk down memory lane. Over the past few years, flash games have been a welcome haven during stressful times. Playing these games was a more prevalent thing during the academic terms of University, but are still kicking around today.

Whenever the stress of a project came crashing down, some game would rise in popularity, to the point you could walk into the computer lab at some late hour only to find several people with glazed eyes working hard to get to the next level. Ahh.. Those were the days.

People will argue which game was better, and I indeed have opinion on that too.

That said, I have comprised a list of the 10 top games. Not in order of my favorite games, but games that I think had the most impact on my friends and classmates over the years. Lets Start with the 10th most important game and count our way down to the glorious pedestal of number 1:

Number 10: The Red Game (play)

This is the newest game of the lot. In fact, I discovered it on digg only a few days ago and posted to the class google group. Already it's catching on! A weird take on missile command, the goal is to deflect incoming asteroids by bouncing your ammo off of them. Catchy music and Neat powerups add flavor to the game.

It has all the ingredients to be a lasting game, and leave an impression in our minds, and so it finds itself at our spot # 10.


"the soundtrack is definitely rocking for the first 300 seconds of the game." -- ScottG


Number 9: FatMan Zombie Game (play)

The FatMan Zombie Game (which is actually named ZombieGrinder 60000) is probably the most novelty-like game on the list, depending who you ask. It was popular in the dog-days of being a senior engineering student, I recall.

I can only imagine the amount of work we had on our plates at the time that we put serious effort into this game. The basic play-style is to turn up the volume real loud, then run, jump and shoot for about 20 seconds until you collapse into convulsions.

"that's not nearly as fun as the fat man zombie game." -- ScottG


Number 8: That CaveMan Spear Throwing Game (play)

This game deserves it's placement based on the competition it started one week, probably sometime in 2003 or 2004. It was definitely on just about every screen in the Jr. Lab at once.

The gameplay is pretty self explanatory I think.

"
That caveman spear throwing game was dope." -- JeremyW



Number 7: Championship Archer (play)

This is the only other post-graduation flash game, besides #10, to make the list. I sent out the link late this summer to the class, and it caught on pretty good for that time of year!

The goal is to get your army across the screen each round, while your character (an archer... a championship archer!) provides support by wizzing arrows overhead. Reid is the champ at this game. He has the screenshots to prove it. A similar game, Bowman 2, has been eating some of my time recently.

"Round 38 bitches! Once you get double arrow and fast shot, shit gets real." -- Reid
"Truly you are a god among men..." --
Humber
"
that's what i've been sayin..."
-- Reid


Number 6: Insaniquarium (play)

Ahhh, the dark days of Insaniquarium. This is the official origin of calling pregnant women "Prego the Mama Fish", which several of us still do to this day, and we're cool with that. I seem to recall Hayward playing this game the most out of everyone.

This was a popular game in the last academic summer term, in 2004. The goal of this one is to feed different fish, and following on that, to ward of mutants and aliens.

"Uh-oh. Phillipa is preggo the mama fish." -- Furlong


Number 5: Slime Volleyball (play)

The top 5. We're getting serious now. Slime Volleyball deserves a crown for being a straight-up classic. One of the firsts of the flash game movement. It didn't have the best graphics of course, and it didn't have levels or anything sophisticated like that, but it was fun.

The computer A.I. is practically impossible to beat, so we turned to frequently playing a 2-player game at the same computer. Two players! At the same time! We must be living in the future.

"slim volleyball was awesome" -- DanM
"slim" -- Bev
"Thats right I said it" -- DanM


Number 4: Fishy (play)

I wonder where that fish is gone?
You did love it so, you looked after it like a son.
And it went wherever I did go.
Is it in the cupboard?
Wouldn't you like to know? It was a funny little fish.
And it went wherever I did go.
Where can that fish be?
It is a most elusive fish!
And it went wherever I did go.

A'hem, Sorry. Theres not much to say about this game other than it was awesome. It taught us to stay away from bigger things than us, until we are bigger than the big thing.

"I loves teh fishy." - JeremyW


Number 3: Nanaca Crash (play)

This is my favorite game on the list, and probably the one I spent the most time at. It was hard for me to only give it 3rd place, but that shows my dedication to this being as non-bias a list as possible.

I won't get into the nitpicky details of the game here. Basically you control characters to keep punching and kicking a guy as far a distance as you can. There are a lot of tricks and special combos.

"i think Rob holds the record in Nanaca, 12,000 or something. did we ever break that? Matt?" -- Naeim

"
I never go back to that site it steals the soul....." -- Matt

"
I incurred an addiction with that for quite a while... I either hit 9000 or 11000 something. I know I never beat Rob's score though... I had to retire due to health reasons" - Northcott


Number 2: Chaos Game (play)

I remember this game got popular during the Nanaca Crash era, and I was disappointed when it started drawing players away from Nanaca. I never got into it to the degree that some people did. There were actual competitions!

A seemingly simple game with simple graphics, it is anything but. It has great gameplay that focuses on timing and foresight to create the largest chain reaction ever.

Damn this game.

"
chaos game...how could one simple game capture my entire being. I remember matt walsh and I playing best score 2 out of 3 to win. It was the closest i will come to olympic pressure!" -- PWall

Number 1: Helicopter Game (play)

Was there any doubt? The flash game of flash games.

The granddaddy.

This is the first flash game the munece2005 group payed any sort of group attention to. In fact, this one reached far out of our class; other disciplines were playing it... Even in term 8, in the heat of battle, helicopter game was there.

Gameplay is pretty simple. How far can you get in the endless tunnel before you crash into a large green floating brick?? I think the controls are what puts it above the rest. It's easier to use than an iPod. Basically, there is one button to press, and that button makes the helicoptor go up.

Oh Joy.

"not to make anyone addicted again but.....
http://www.addictinggames.com/helicopter.html" -- PWall



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

February 2005 , March 2005 , April 2005 , May 2005 , June 2005 , July 2005 , August 2005 , September 2005 , October 2005 , November 2005 , December 2005 , January 2006 , February 2006 , March 2006 , April 2006 , May 2006 , June 2006 , July 2006 , August 2006 , September 2006 , October 2006 , November 2006 , December 2006 , January 2007 , February 2007 , March 2007 , April 2007 , May 2007 , June 2007 , July 2007 , August 2007 , September 2007 , October 2007 , November 2007 , December 2007 , January 2008 , February 2008 , March 2008 , May 2008 , September 2008 , October 2008 , November 2008 , December 2008 , January 2009 , April 2009 , September 2009 , November 2009 , June 2010 , August 2010 , November 2010 , June 2011 , July 2011 , November 2011 ,

Friends

jeremy, pender, phil, reido, furlong, ajay, earl, angus, nadeana, charles, classBlog
Powered by Blogger Get Firefox! Get Thunderbird!<  Use OpenOffice.org  Rob's Music Get Songbird