I returned home from my trip to cuba on thursday. Overall, the resort was fantastic. The hotel, the beach, the weather, the food, and the drinks were all top notch. I have a large pile (more than 30) of cigars sitting next to me here, waiting to be smoked! Two renound brands are
montecristo (just like the count), and
romeo y julieta..
Susan and I took a trip to Havana (Habana) one day in the middle of the vacation. I must say, it is an experience which opened my eyes to something I have never ever seen before. I have only left canada once before, and that was a trip to america when I was a child, so I have never really witnessed poverty with my own eyes. The majority of people in cuba have what is provided to them by the government. The houses are little more than shacks, most cars and trucks on the road are government vehicles or "camel" buses blocked with people. I witnessed how many resort employees get back and forth to work: in the back of a large cargo truck.
I must say, thinking about this did make me feel guilty about enjoying myself at a resort built on the backs of hundreds of overworked and underpaid cubans. The only bright side about it (if its considered a bright side) is that, according to our havana tourguide, cubans working in the tourism industry tend to "eat better than other occupations due to tips." .. Ungh.
at any rate, here are some assorted pics:

our hotel.

the beach.

cemetary in Havana.

Ernesto "Che" Guevara's old office.
As of the last couple of days, i've been taking it easy. I bought a
wireless router and set up a wireless network to my computer. I already had a wireless PCI card lying around since christmas time. I've been playing a lot of games lately (
Empire Earth II), and catching up on some movies. I bought
Donnie Darko at HMV for 8 bucks. I just finished watching it, and I must say, it was quite off-the-wall and involving. I'm going to have to watch it again to try to iron out exactly everything that's going on.. I enjoy intelligently crafted movies like this.
I've updated my resume and wrote up some new cover letters this "morning" when I got up.. Morning is in quotes because I got up like 1:30 or something. I'll begin sending them out tommorow, probobably in between games.